The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires all businesses to have specific signs that make their stores or offices more accessible for those with disabilities. Even if they were not required by law, it would still be a smart idea to have accessible signs installed, so all your customers feel welcome on your property.
Though they are beneficial, ADA-compliant signs can be confusing. Which signs need to follow the rules, and what are the rules? Here’s what you need to know before you order custom ADA signs in Rosenberg and Houston.
Which Signs Must Follow ADA Rules?
Not all signs are required to be ADA-compliant. Those that are affected by the law include:
- Bathroom signs.
- Permanent office door signs.
- Signs that identify rooms.
- Wayfinding signs (signs that help people navigate your building).
In general, larger outdoor signs, like fascia signs or banners, rarely need to be ADA-compliant. Also, impermanent signs do not have to comply. You must have a permanent ADA sign that declares an office’s number. However, a sign that declares the name of whoever works in the office does not have to be ADA-compliant.
How Do I Know If A Sign Is ADA-compliant?
There a several standards an ADA sign must adhere to. They include:
- Clarity: Not all of those with vision impairment are completely blind, so ADA signs must make it as easy as possible for these people to read the sign. Lettering must lack decorative flourishes, must be large, and must stand out from the background of the sign.
- Braille: ADA-compliant signs must include braille, which is the tactile written language that people who are vision-impaired rely on to navigate your premises. Braille location, feel, proportion and spacing are all specified, and a talented sign company will already know these specifications and be able to follow them.
There are several other ADA sign standards, but these basics can help you determine if your current signs are adequate.
Choose Logos Sign Studio For ADA Signs
Don’t open yourself up to legal liability. Work with a reliable sign company that can ensure your signs are ADA-compliant. At Logos Sign Studio we have the expertise to make custom ADA signs for Rosenberg and Houston.